ARTS COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAM
Art is essential to the quality of life! It is designed to inspire clubwomen to engage the creative
ambiance within their lives. It can include programs and projects that include music, dance,
drama, theatre, and other arts-related areas, both traditional and innovative.
IDEAS for Arts:
*Discover art, dance, and/or music courses available in your community and plan a club outing to participate in a class.
*Visit local galleries, exhibits, music festivals, and dramatic events.
*Volunteer as a docent at local historical landmarks, museums galleries, or other venues.
*Promote local stage, screen, television, and video festivals in your area.
*Donate tickets for others to attend cultural events.
*Establish scholarships for students studying the arts such as literature, drama, or music.
*Use an artistic event to raise funds to sponsor local community art and cultural programs
*Establish awards for club and community members acknowledging their artistic achievements
*Establish and support artist-in residence programs and artist speakers.
Use your imagination to come up with other projects.
SPECIAL GFWC OHIO ART CONTEST
COLLAGE OF TIME
· Using any medium, create a collage exemplifying ‘Women through Time’.
· Submission Deadline for the “Collage of Time”Contest:
· MUST be submitted by 1pm of the first day of the Convention of April 2015 and 2016 Convention
PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST RULES
Contest RULES for The World in Pictures, and GFWC Volunteers in Action.
- All photos MUST be submitted by 1pm of the first day of the Convention.
- All photographers must be dues paying members of an active GFWC Club, with exception to the high school division of the World in Pictures contest.
- Photos must be taken during the contest year (Jan. 1 – Dec. 31).
- NO dates will be allowed on the front of the photo.
- Contestants must be amateur photographers - earnings from photography may not exceed $500 annually.
- Photographs must be original work of the member submitting the photo.
- First place photos will not be returned.
- Each photo must have a label affixed to its back with the following information: - Contest name, Photographer’s name email address, mailing address, phone number, Name and State of Sponsoring Club, Title and Brief Caption giving location, date, and other notes about the photo, and an arrow indication top of the photo.
- Each submission must be an 8” x 10” print. Electronic submissions will NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Each submission must be on a rigid 8” x 10” mount board and overall thickness may not exceed 3/8”.
- DO NOT submit photos with mats or frames, nor hangers on the back.
- Each submission must include a signed GFWC Creative Arts Waiver as well as an OFWC Arts Waiver. These are included in this directory for the entrants to copy and use.
Additional Contest Rules for The World in Pictures Contest
- Each photo may be vertical/portrait or horizontal/landscape.
- Three categories: Living Things; Scenes; Still Life
- Clubs must submit photos directly to the GFWC Ohio Federation at the annual convention in April 2015 or 2016.
- The photos may be black and white or color.
- The same image may be submitted to multiple photo contests (i.e. World in Pictures/Scenes and A Year in Pictures), but separate photos must be entered into each contest.
- High school student entries must be sponsored by a GFWC Club.
Additional Contest Rules for GFWC Volunteers in Action Photography Contest
- Photo may be vertical/portrait or horizontal/landscape.
- Clubs must submit photos directly to GFWC Ohio at the annual convention in April 2015 or 2016.
- Entries can be either black and white or color photos.
Judges look at overall creativity of subject and quality of photograph.
The same image may be submitted to multiple photo contests, but a separate photo must be entered in each contest.
Additional Contest Rules for A Year in Pictures Contest
- Photo must be horizontal/landscape.
- Entries must be in Color.
- Each GFWC Club may submit one photo directly to GFWC Headquarters by May 15. DO NOT BRING TO CONVENTION.
- Photos must measure 8” x 10”.
- All entries meeting the contest guidelines will be considered. Judges will look for photos particularly suitable for calendars, such as photo relevant to particular months or seasons.
- The same image may be submitted to multiple photo contests, but separate photos must be entered into each contest.
- Each GFWC Club may submit one photograph, along with accompanying signed GFWC Creative Arts Waiver, postmarked by May 1st: to GFWC A Year in Pictures Contest, 1734 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20036-2990
State Creative Writing Contests
Chair: Rita Hall
Members, I am asking you to
BE BOLD! BE FEARLESS!
BE MOTIVATED! BE OPTIMISTIC!
THINK IT! BELIEVE IT! . . . . DREAM BIG DREAMS
Write a memoir, a novella, a poem, or a haiku. Perhaps you can create your own short story; sonnet; ode or play. I know you can do it. Yes, you can.
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is providing its members and community youth an avenue to freely express themselves and draw upon their experiences through writing.
- GFWC MEMBER SHORT STORY WRITING CONTEST
- GFWC MEMBER POETRY WRITING CONTEST
- Poetry can be any style with a minimum of eight lines.
- Short stories are limited to 2000 words.
- Authors must be dues-paying members of active GFWC/Ohio clubs.
CREATIVE WRITING CONTEST SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Feb 1, 2015 & Feb 1, 2016
Mail entries to: Rita Hall
YOUTH SHORT STORY WRITING CONTEST AND YOUTH POETRY WRITING CONTEST
Categories to be judged:
Category 1: Grades K, 1, and 2 ------------------ Category 2: Grades 3, 4, and 5
Category 3: Grades 6, 7, and 8 ------------------ Category 4: Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12
All manuscripts must be original works created by the author.
Refer to GFWC Club Manual 2014-2016 Creative Arts Program Section for rules and guidelines.
Release forms and copyright waiver forms found at the end of the Arts Programs are required to be completed by the author and accompany any items submitted.